Saturday, 9 January 2016

Notes from runs after Christmas

Run on the 06/01/16

  • General note: during the scenes open everything out more to the sides of the stage and in front of the table; be conscious of where the audience is sitting
  • General note: the big armchair should always be on the right side of the table so whoever's sitting there is given importance. Bear this in mind whenever rearranging the furniture.
  • General note: work needs to be done on all the music and all of the transitions in the piece.
  • Connect more with Hannah in the opening sequence - more needs to be made of the look between us to make it clear we are playing the same character.
  • Part 2 Scene 1 needs to be worked through with all of the cast in.
  • Part 2 Scene 2 needs to be worked on so we can make it clear that it is a flashback and also to pick up the pace of the lines to increase the tension.
  • In Part 2 Scene 3 we need to sort out the pronunciation of the Swahili - I am pronouncing 'pasaka' as 'pas-ar-ka' and Hope rectifies me to say 'pas-a-ka'.
  • I need to make more sense of the line 'Albert?' that comes after Hope has gone out in Part 2 Scene 3. Simon suggested touching the chair where he was sitting and having the memory of him sitting there.
  • In Part 2 Scene 5 Skye and I are too 'wander' - we need to hold each other's gaze for longer and I need to sit in my chair to make him retrieve the jacket, as is written in the stage directions.
  • Also in Part 2 Scene 5 there needs to be more suggestion of them having sex - I need to get put on the table or lift up my slip to make it clear we are actually going to have sex after my line 'ten'.

Run on the 12/01/16

  • Main note is lines need to be more secure. We cannot control the pace of the scenes because we can only go at the rate we know the lines. In this run the lines were a lot more smooth but have a long way to go in making the scenes really slick and engaging for an audience.
  • New piece of direction: In the opening sequence, Hannah and I need to find a moment to connect and simultaneously place our hands on the table.
  • In Part 1 Scene 6, snuggle up closer to Albert when we are under the table - we are a team and I need to be comforted by him.
  • In Part 1 Scene 7 the laying of the table needs to be more efficient.
  • In Part 1 Scene 7 when joining Margaret to pray, we need to ensure we are much further downstage right in order to use up more of the space.
  • Part 2 Scene 1 - the spider scene needs work on lines and spontaneity and reacting to one another.
  • Cut out two lines in Part 2 Scene 5 - this needs to be rectified before the next run.
Evaluation of the run:

I felt that today's run was the best we had ever done it. It was the first time that there was a connection between the characters on stage and the scenes came to life. I think this is partly to do with the fact that most people are at a very confident point with their lines, so there was much less stop/starting than in previous runs and we were able to get a feel for how the actual performance might pan out. 

Personally, I was mostly pleased with my performance because I felt 'in the moment' for the first time when performing the scenes. For the most part, I did not have think about lines which contributed massively and the characterisation work we have been doing recently helped me focus and concentrate on the intricate details that make a character come alive.

In order to improve for the next run I will definitely read over my lines to ensure I am still confident with them and think there is still progress needed concerning my use of the space - I need to be more cautious of the audience on three sides and to get out of the habit of facing everything out to the front. 

No comments:

Post a Comment